Having an Alexa device in each room, I often use them as a multi-room music system. You can ask them to play something from Amazon Music store or any available Web Radio or you could add a simple Media Player in your wall tablet dashboard to manually switch the Radio station or any Amazon playlist, adjust the volume see the song information and so on.
I’ve used three Custom Components, from HACS store:
- Alexa Media Player (link). Integrate your Alexa Echo with Home Assistant.
- Mini Media Player (link). Customizable media player card for Home Assistant.
- Browser_mod (link) – Optional, open the Media Player Card as a pop up
Please refer to the installation guide for each custom components, they are all well documented.
The music I want to play is from my Amazon Music Play list and Live Streaming Radios. So of course I’ve created two Playlist on my Amazon Music account and I’ve used Tune In for Radio streaming, both are free for this usage.
I’ve implemented the Alexa Mini Media Player card inside a pop up, but obviously you could decide to use it directly into your Dashboard without the popup. (Browser_mod add-on is not require if you wont the popup and you could use the custom:mini-media-player card)
- choose the device to play the music selecting one of your Alexa media Player entity, media_player.alexa_cucina in my example case.
- add the custom tap_action to a standard Button so it pops up the Alexa Mini Media Player card
- add shortcuts option to add a button for each Radio or Amazon Music Playlist. Set the id using:
- the Radio name, navigate to Tune In home page (link) and find out the radio station you want to include (just copy the name comes out on top once playing)
- the Playlist name, according to your Amazon Music account
To multi-cast the music among all your Echos and not in a unique device, just create a Group on your Alexa App including all the Echos.
- type: button show_name: true show_icon: true show_state: false entity: media_player.alexa_cucina icon: mdi:music name: Music & Radio tap_action: action: fire-dom-event browser_mod: command: popup deviceID: this title: Music & Radio hide_header: false card: type: custom:mini-media-player name: Music & Radio entity: media_player.alexa_cucina artwork: material hide: power_state: false source: true name: true icon: true runtime: false shortcuts: hide_when_off: true columns: 3 buttons: - name: RDS type: TUNEIN id: RDS Radio icon: mdi:radio-tower - name: RTL type: TUNEIN id: RTL 102.5 icon: mdi:radio-tower - name: Virgin Italy type: TUNEIN id: Virgin Radio Italy icon: mdi:radio-tower - name: Monte Carlo type: TUNEIN id: Radio Monte Carlo icon: mdi:radio-tower - name: 105 type: TUNEIN id: Radio 105 icon: mdi:radio-tower - name: Deejay type: TUNEIN id: Radio Deejay icon: mdi:radio-tower - name: Playlist Ale type: AMAZON_MUSIC id: Playlist Ale image: /local/images/custom_ui/ico_amazon.png - name: Playlist Marti type: AMAZON_MUSIC id: Playlist Marti image: /local/images/custom_ui/ico_amazon.png info: scroll group: false